- Associated Press - Wednesday, July 13, 2016

NEDERLAND, Colo. (AP) - The Latest on wildfires burning in Colorado (all times local):

1:55 p.m.

The two men accused of accidentally starting the wildfire that has destroyed eight homes in Colorado have been charged with arson.

District Attorney Stan Garnett announced the charges Wednesday at a meeting with residents in Nederland, a mountain town near Boulder.

Investigators say 28-year-old Jimmy Andrew Suggs and 26-year-old Zackary Ryan Kuykendall from Vinemont, Alabama didn’t make sure their campfire on private property was completely out, allowing it to flare up and spread in hot, windy weather on Saturday.

They each face two counts of arson, including one that is a felony carrying a penalty of up to 12 years in prison.

Garnett says there’s no evidence now that a woman camping with them, 20-year-old Elizabeth Blair Burdeshaw, helped build or feed the fire, so she hasn’t been charged directly in the fire. She has been ticketed for trespassing, a misdemeanor.

____

This item has been corrected to reflect that Burdeshaw was previously ticketed for trespassing

____

10:55 a.m.

Firefighters expect a wildfire burning near Coaldale to grow Wednesday in dry, windy weather but crews are working toward getting the blaze contained near the town between Canon City and Salida.

However, the Hayden Pass Fire, which has forced the evacuation of about 100 homes, will likely burn for some time in the Sangre de Christo Wilderness where it flared up Sunday.

It’s burning on about 19 square miles with no containment.

Fire spokesman Kyle Sullivan says crews are using bulldozers and shovels to build lines away from the lightning-caused fire so they can set back burns between the fire and those lines later this week. He says the area burned by the 2011 Duckett Fire and its containment lines are helping hold the fire to the east.

_____

7:40 a.m.

More people evacuated by the wildfire near Nederland are being allowed back home.

Some evacuees will be able to remain while others will just be allowed into the fire zone for a few hours Wednesday morning to check on their homes and pick up necessities. Others were allowed back home on Tuesday.

The 528-acre fire has destroyed eight homes since breaking out on Saturday and is 25 percent contained. Two men from Alabama are accused of starting it by not fully extinguishing their campfire.

They’re expected to appear in court Wednesday and learn what criminal charges prosecutors will pursue against them.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide