- Associated Press - Tuesday, July 19, 2016

EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - An East Providence police officer accused of domestic assault has pleaded not guilty.

Forty-one-year-old Patrick Conaty entered the plea to the misdemeanor charge on Monday. The 18-year veteran was released on personal recognizance. He has been suspended with pay.

Police haven’t released details of the Friday incident the charges stem from. Court documents say the alleged victim is a woman who Conaty had been dating.

Chief Christopher Parella says the department will conduct an internal investigation once the criminal case has concluded.

WJAR-TV reports that former Rhode Island Attorney General Jeffrey Pine is serving as Conaty’s attorney. Pine says he’s confident that his client will be exonerated.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide