- Associated Press - Wednesday, July 20, 2016

CHICAGO (AP) - The Chicago City Council has approved three more police misconduct settlements totaling $4.72 million.

The settlements approved Wednesday bring this year’s total to $18.6 million and the total over the last decade to more than $500 million.

The largest of the three settlements, for $3.75 million, will go to the three children of Esau Castellanos-Bernal. The intoxicated man was fatally shot by police after crashing his car in 2013. The FBI is investigating the case.

Police officers Shawn Lawryn and Juan Martinez contend Castellanos-Bernal, a pizza deliveryman, opened fire on them after crashing his car. One said he was grazed by a bullet.

However, First Deputy Corporation Counsel Jenny Notz told aldermen neither officer involved in the incident had been shot, no gun was recovered and the only bullets found at the scene were from the officers’ guns.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide