- Associated Press - Wednesday, July 20, 2016

PORTSMOUTH, R.I. (AP) - Rhode Island officials are advising residents to avoid contact with water in a pond where a toxic blue-green algae bloom has been detected.

The Health and Environmental Management departments said Tuesday people should not ingest water or eat fish from Melville Pond in Portsmouth. Pet owners should not allow pets to drink the water or swim in it.

Officials say Aquidneck Island’s public drinking-water supply is not at risk because Melville Pond is not used for drinking water.

The advisory will remain in effect until further notice.

Skin contact with the algae can cause irritation of the nose, eyes and throat, and swallowing the water can cause diarrhea, vomiting and nausea and more rarely, serious complications.

People are advised to avoid bright green water or algae they may see elsewhere.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide