- Associated Press - Thursday, July 21, 2016

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. (AP) - Authorities say a pot containing cooking oil that may have been left unattended on a kitchen stove appears to have sparked a blaze that killed a young girl and her disabled uncle in upstate New York.

The Times Union of Albany reports (https://bit.ly/2aaPPEy ) autopsy results released Wednesday indicated that 5-year-old Neytirea Manasse and 26-year-old McClintock Tyrerese Douglas died of smoke inhalation in the fire Tuesday morning at a Schenectady (skeh-NEHK’-ta-dee) home.

The fire has been ruled accidental.

Fire Chief Ray Senecal says three people were taken to a hospital with minor injuries after jumping from second-story windows to escape. Residents say they tried to rescue the victims but were beaten back by the smoke and flames.

___

Information from: Times Union, https://www.timesunion.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide