- Associated Press - Thursday, July 21, 2016

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - Mississippi’s health department says a second state resident has been infected with the dangerous bacteria called Vibrio vulnificus.

Spokeswoman Liz Sharlot told WDAM-TV (https://bit.ly/2a32cEy ) Thursday that the person lives in Forrest County and was infected in Mississippi gulf waters. She says she cannot give details about the person.

The state’s first Vibrio vulnificus patient of the year was a diabetic Hancock County man. Brandy Miller told the Sun Herald that her father, Ronald “Griz” Winnert, became sick within hours after water splashed on his pants and apparently got into a cut on his right leg as he fished from a Bay St. Louis seawall. Miller said the leg had to be amputated.

Sharlot urges anyone with a cut or wound to stay out of brackish water until the injury heals.

___

Information from: WDAM-TV, https://www.wdam.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide