- Associated Press - Friday, July 22, 2016

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez is disputing a claim that Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump tried to contact her to be vetted for vice president.

Martinez spokesman Chris Sanchez says published reports saying the nation’s only Latina governor refused phone calls from Trump about being his running-mate are false.

However, Sanchez says the Republican governor had no interest in joining the ticket.

Sanchez says no one from the Trump campaign contacted Martinez before his May rally in Albuquerque. During that rally, which later turned violent outside, Trump harshly criticized Martinez.

The campaign later reached out to Martinez and Trump said he wanted a Martinez endorsement.

Martinez previously criticized Trump for comments he made about Mexican immigrants. She has not endorsed him.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide