- Associated Press - Friday, July 29, 2016

MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) - Investigators say a fire that killed four people last month in Manchester, New Hampshire, was caused by discarded smoking materials.

Officials said the improperly discarded smoking materials on a second-floor porch caused a piece of upholstered furniture to catch fire, smoldering for more than an hour before erupting in flames on June 6.

Killed were 33-year-old Joshua Harrison; 39-year-old Ailene Moody; 10-year-old Joshua Harrison Jr.; and 8-year-old Jay Michael Garon. Moody was the mother of both boys, while the elder Joshua Harrison was the father of the youngest victim. They died from smoke inhalation.

Discarded smoking materials were suspected early on, and the fire was labeled an accident on Friday.

State Fire Marshal William Degnan said the tragedy serves as an important reminder that smoking materials must be properly extinguished.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide