- The Washington Times - Tuesday, July 5, 2016

A Metro Transit Police officer fatally shot a man late Monday near the Deanwood station, the third killing at the subway stop in Northeast this year.

After two teenagers were slain earlier this year, Metro beefed up patrols around the station. But residents near the Deanwood stop expressed doubts about the effectiveness of the patrols and said they expected more violence.

“It’s an everyday thing for me. People are too young to be dying out here. A lot of young boys die. We’re scared for our nephews, brothers and cousins. You never know what’s going to happen,” Nymia Smith, 15, said Tuesday at the station.

Dwayne Butler said the increased police presence is not sufficient and that the Deanwood station needs better lighting and more police patrols at night.

D.C. Metropolitan Police said Metro Transit Police officers arrived at the 1300 block of 49th Street Northeast about 10:52 p.m. Monday to investigate a large crowd setting off fireworks.

The officers spotted a man holding a weapon, which he began firing at them after they identified themselves as officers, police said. One officer returned fire and struck the gunman, who died later at a hospital.

Police said they will identify the gunman after his next of kin have been notified of his death.

A Metro spokeswoman said the officer who returned fire is a 12-year veteran of the force and is on routine administrative leave.

According to a D.C. Office of Planning report on the state of city neighborhoods, Deanwood is one of the most crime-ridden areas in Ward 7. From 2006 to 2009, the crime rate increased from nine per 1,000 people to about 27 per 1,000 people.

Two teenagers were fatally shot within three weeks of each other this year at the Deanwood Metro station.

On April 11, John Rufus Evans III, 15, was stabbed to death. Metropolitan Police arrested Jovante Hall, 18, about 10 hours after the stabbing and charged him with second-degree murder while armed. Police officials said Evans and Mr. Hall knew each other and were involved in an ongoing dispute before the incident.

On March 26, Davonte Washington, 15, was shot as he stood on the subway platform at the Deanwood station. Police said he had exchanged words with a man who opened fire on him. Maurice Bellamy, 17, was charged with second-degree murder while armed.

In the wake of those slayings, Metro beefed up police patrols at Deanwood after having increased by 5 percent the number of officers patrolling the entire system in late February, when it reassigned 17 officers to patrols.

The transit agency said it also had begun “power hour” deployments, in which more officers patrol the system in the late afternoon and evening hours by having their shifts overlap, and had reassigned limited-duty officers to increase numbers at the most crime-ridden stations.

Metro and police officials also noted the utility of the system’s many surveillance cameras in investigating crimes.

Metro operates more than 5,000 surveillance cameras in the subway. Cameras also are located inside and outside all 1,500 Metrobuses.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide