- Associated Press - Tuesday, July 5, 2016

BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP) - The Bozeman School Board is standing behind its decision last year to discontinue the federal school lunch program at the high school after deeming the program’s nutritional rules too strict.

Supervisor of the school’s food service program Bob Burrows said last week there is now “better food and happier students.” School board trustee Heide Arneson agreed, saying fewer students would be eating at the cafeteria had the school stayed in the program.

The Bozeman Daily Chronicle reports (https://bit.ly/29xe7IK) the decision to let Bozeman High School leave the program caused the school to miss out on a federal subsidy.

While school meal sales have gone down this year, Burrows says sales of “a la carte” items have increased by about $148,000 and more students are buying from the cafeteria each day.

___

Information from: Bozeman Daily Chronicle, https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide