- Associated Press - Tuesday, July 5, 2016

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Pittsburgh fire officials say nobody was hurt when a propane tank exploded in a home where a man was cutting the top off the tank before recycling it.

John Kosakowsky heard a hiss after cutting a cap on the tank Monday afternoon. When he left the basement, the tank exploded. Fire officials think a natural gas furnace nearby might have ignited the remaining gas in the propane tank.

Kosakowsky has lived in the home for 28 years with his wife, who was shopping at the time.

The explosion blew out their front picture window and front door but spared their six pet birds.

City fire officials say they need to inspect the home and some adjoining row houses to make sure they’re safe to continuing occupying.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide