- Associated Press - Wednesday, July 6, 2016

WILLISTON, N.D. (AP) - A judge says a man accused of kidnapping and assaulting his former girlfriend in Williston last year will remain in jail, despite the man’s claims that his right to a timely trial has been violated.

Forty-year-old Omar Toure of Columbus, Ohio, has been held without bond since his March 2015 arrest, The Williston Herald reports (https://bit.ly/29nS8Dp ). A trial is slated for August.

Toure’s attorney, Kevin McCabe, filed for a motion to dismiss the case, arguing that delays have made it difficult to find witnesses.

The judge denied the request, citing the gravity of the charges. He stipulated that if a plea agreement is not reached soon, or if the trial is bumped from its August date, he will consider lowering the bond amount or taking other action.

Williams County prosecutor Nathan Madden says Toure’s request for an interpreter who speaks Wolof, a language spoken in Senegal and other African countries, has caused delays.

Toure is accused of driving from Ohio is search of his former girlfriend who had moved to North Dakota after giving birth to couple’s daughter. Authorities said Toure found the woman in a Walmart parking lot and forced her into a car at knifepoint. Police caught up with Toure in Sidney, where he was arrested and the woman was treated for a cut on her hand.

Toure has been charged with kidnapping, aggravated assault, two counts of reckless endangerment and three counts of terrorizing.

___

Information from: Williston Herald, https://www.willistonherald.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide