- Associated Press - Wednesday, July 6, 2016

GOOSE CREEK, S.C. (AP) - Century Aluminum says it’s renegotiated an agreement to provide power for the smelter in Mount Holly, allowing the plant to keep operating at half capacity for now.

Company officials said Wednesday that a third-party supplier will provide about 75 percent of the power and Santee Cooper will supply the remaining 25 percent.

Century President and CEO Michael Bless says he hopes the company can soon purchase its full power requirement, allowing the plant to run at full capacity. He says that would allow Century to rehire 300 workers.

About 300 people now work at the smelter, down from 600 a year ago.

The company said last year it would have to shut the plant unless it reached a new contract with Santee Cooper, South Carolina’s state-owned utility.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide