- Associated Press - Wednesday, July 6, 2016

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) - Officials say a space heater caused a house fire in Wilmington that killed two young children and critically injured their mother when she tried to go back into the burning home to rescue them.

The Wilmington Fire Marshal’s Office said in a news release Wednesday that the space heater ignited materials which led to the Jan. 12 fire. The agency says the materials smoldered, brought into a free-burning state, and consumed the first floor.

Christina Carroway escaped the fire with her 2-year-old daughter. Firefighters say Carroway tried to get back into the home to rescue her two other daughters, 3-month-old Zipporah and 3-year-old Elizabeth. The two children died in the fire; Carroway suffered third-degree burns.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide