- Associated Press - Thursday, July 7, 2016

BAY ST. LOUIS, Miss. (AP) - The family of the Hancock County man who contracted vibrio vulnificus has confirmed his identity, as well as the circumstances of how he contracted the bacterial infection.

Brandy Miller tells the Sun Herald (https://bit.ly/29mj318) her father, Ronald “Griz” Winnert, contracted the bacteria on June 10. Winnert was fishing on a seawall in Bay St. Louis when water splashed on his leg.

Winnert, who has a compromised immune system from diabetes, was wearing pants but had a cut on his leg. Miller says he became sick within a matter of hours.

Winnert ended up at Slidell Memorial Hospital, where his right leg was amputated. Miller says he spent 16 days in the ICU.

Health officials warn those who venture into sea waters to be wary of the bacteria, which can cause infection in people through cuts or scrapes.

___

Information from: The Sun Herald, https://www.sunherald.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide