- Associated Press - Wednesday, June 15, 2016

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - Investigators in Portland say a fire that heavily damaged a three-story apartment building was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.

The fire occurred on Sherman Street on Tuesday evening. Investigators say the fire started on a second floor rear porch and spread quickly to the interior of the building due to high winds.

Officials with the city say the Red Cross is working with 14 of the 16 residents who were displaced to find a temporary place to stay. Two other people were able to make their own arrangements.

There were no injuries as a result of the fire.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide