- Associated Press - Sunday, June 19, 2016

LAUREL, Md. (AP) - Fire officials say careless smoking led to a fire at an apartment building in Laurel that damaged nine apartments and caused $300,000 worth of damage.

Prince George’s County fire officials said in a news release that the fire broke out around 8:30 p.m. Saturday at the garden-style apartment building. Because of the intensity of the fire and smoke, firefighters extinguished the blaze mostly from outside the building.

A Laurel volunteer firefighter fell from a ladder and was taken to a hospital, where he was held for observation. No one else was injured.

Fire officials say the blaze began on a balcony and spread to the roof. Twenty-two residents were displaced.

Officials say a fire at a warehouse in the Clinton area also did $100,000 in damage on Saturday night.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide