- Associated Press - Thursday, June 2, 2016

UNION CITY, N.J. (AP) - Fire officials say a pencil left inside a running electric pencil sharpener sparked a fire at a New Jersey elementary school.

North Hudson Regional Fire and Rescue Deputy Chief Michael Cranwell tells NJ.com (https://bit.ly/1O6Omjf ) the fire was reported around 7:20 a.m. Thursday in a room in Washington Elementary School in Union City.

Students, faculty and staff left the building and temporarily moved to a middle school.

Cranwell says the pencil sharpener’s motor overheated and eventually ignited into flames.

He says the damage was contained to one room. Firefighters tested the air levels for carbon monoxide after the fire was extinguished. The school was turned back over to the Board of Education at around 8:30 a.m.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide