- Associated Press - Thursday, June 2, 2016

PHOENIX (AP) - The Latest on the trial of a Minuteman founder charged with sexually abusing two young girls (all times local):

2:40 p.m.

A founder of the Minuteman border watch group has rested his case at a trial on charges he sexually abused two young girls.

Opening arguments are scheduled Monday at the trial of Christopher Allen Simcox.

He testified in his own defense Thursday and said he was surprised by the allegations.

He has previously denied charges that he molested a 5-year-old girl and engaged in sexual conduct with a 6-year-old girl during an 11-month period ending in May 2013.

Simcox is not an attorney but is nonetheless representing himself.

He answered questions posed by a lawyer who’s advising him inside the courtroom.

The Minuteman movement stepped into the spotlight in 2005, but splintered after Simcox and another co-founder parted ways.

1:17 p.m.

A founder of the Minuteman border watch group took the witness stand at his trial on charges that he sexually abused two young girls.

Christopher Allen Simcox told jurors in his first 90 minutes of testimony Thursday that he was shocked by the allegations.

Simcox is not an attorney, but is nonetheless representing himself.

He answered questions posed by a lawyer who’s advising him inside the courtroom.

Prosecutors are expected to cross-examine Simcox on Thursday afternoon.

Simcox had previously denied that he molested a 5-year-old girl and engaged in sexual conduct with a 6-year-old girl during an 11-month period ending in May 2013.

He consistently looked at jurors as he answered questions.

Simcox told jurors about his work with the Minuteman movement and his brief foray as a political candidate.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide