- Associated Press - Thursday, June 2, 2016

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - State health officials say a Utah man has died after being exposed to hantavirus last month.

The Salt Lake Tribune reports (https://bit.ly/24l3ZW4 ) that Utah Department of Health spokesman Tom Hudachko says the victim died in late May and was between the ages of 45 and 64. Medical privacy policies prohibit the department from releasing the man’s identity.

People are infected with hantavirus by breathing in the virus during direct contact with rodents or by disturbing dust and feces from mice nests or surfaces contaminated with mice droppings or urine.

Symptoms include muscle aches, fatigue, high fever, dizziness, headaches, chills, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, which can eventually lead to death.

Hudachko says there have been six hantavirus-related deaths in Utah since 2009.

___

Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune, https://www.sltrib.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide