- Associated Press - Monday, June 20, 2016

MINOT, N.D. (AP) - Minot-area officials will ask the state for another $119 million in the next two-year budget period for work on a flood protection project.

Officials said completing the first four phases of the project will protect 60 percent of the city’s population from flooding. The cost is $250 million.

The Legislature set aside $40 million for the project during the current budget period, under a cost-share agreement in which the state kicks in 60 percent, The Minot Daily News reported (https://bit.ly/28IPZmL ). The city, which pays the local share through the city sales tax, wants that increased to 75 percent in the next budget.

The city’s finance director, Cindy Hemphill, said city sales tax collections are down about 21 percent in 2016 compared to last year, when the city took in about $6.5 million for flood protection.

The Souris River Joint Board administrator Ryan Ackerman said the project can be built as funds become available. A project phase can take 18 months to design and up to a year to get approval from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Ackerman said that if that project is delayed due to a lack of funding, the project can be stalled for two years or more.



The June 2011 Souris River flood caused $700 million in damage in the city. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is studying permanent flood protection for the basin. That could cost $1 billion.

___

Information from: Minot Daily News, https://www.minotdailynews.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide