- Associated Press - Thursday, June 23, 2016

MIAMI (AP) - The deadly shooting at an Orlando nightclub means a delay in the case of a man accused of plotting to detonate a bomb at a Florida Keys beach.

A Miami federal judge on Thursday delayed the trial of 24-year-old Harlem Suarez from July 11 until Jan. 23. Suarez’s lawyers said the killing June 12 of 49 people in the Pulse nightclub would result in an unfair trial if held so soon.

The FBI says Suarez drew inspiration from the Islamic State terrorist organization, as also claimed by Orlando gunman Omar Mateen.

The FBI says Suarez told an informant he wanted to detonate a backpack bomb on a Key West beach. He was arrested last year after accepting an inert device from an FBI employee posing as an Islamic State member.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide