- Associated Press - Friday, June 24, 2016

HAMPTON, Va. (AP) - Fire crews pulled about 50 snakes and numerous rodents that perished when a snake breeder’s building caught fire.

News outlets report that it took firefighters about 20 minutes to contain the flames on Thursday evening in Hampton.

Business owner Rebecca LeCompte tells WTKR-TV (https://bit.ly/28TvSVC ) that the only snakes that are unaccounted for are ball pythons, which are not venomous. LeCompte says she does not know precisely how many animals died.

Officials say the structure sustained moderate to heavy smoke damage and minor fire damage. Firefighters believe the fire was accidental and was caused by electrical heaters used in the snake enclosures.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide