- Associated Press - Friday, June 3, 2016

MERIDEN, Conn. (AP) - Authorities say one person has died in an early morning house fire in Meriden that may have been caused by a stove burner being left on.

The blaze on Pettit Drive was reported at about 3:30 a.m. Friday.

A male resident of the home escaped, but a woman had to be rescued by firefighters from a rear bedroom.

Both were taken to the hospital, where the woman died.

No names were immediately released.

Fire Chief Ken Morgan says it appears the blaze originated in the stove. He says there were no working smoke alarms in the home. The fire is not considered suspicious.

Neighbors reported hearing an explosion but officials say that was likely a propane tank that went off after the fire started.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide