- Associated Press - Wednesday, June 8, 2016

WALWORTH, N.Y. (AP) - A roomful of marijuana has gone up in smoke during a fire at a house on High Street in a New York town.

The Wayne County sheriff’s office says firefighters were called to the house in Walworth shortly after 5 a.m. Tuesday. They found smoke coming from a locked office upstairs.

Once the fire was out, investigators found 40 to 50 potted marijuana plants under grow lights in the room. The sheriff’s office says the fire is believed to have been sparked by an electrical malfunction.

Firefighters contained the blaze to that room and the roof. None of the four residents were hurt.

A man who lives there was charged with a misdemeanor count of unlawful growing of marijuana and released on a court appearance ticket.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide