- Associated Press - Thursday, June 9, 2016

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) - Fire investigators in Champaign now say that a Memorial Day fire that displaced 32 people was started by children playing with fireworks.

Champaign Fire Deputy Fire Marshal Randy Smith said in a news release Thursday that the fire at the Town Center Apartments was an accident. The fire was started by a pair of 7-year-old boys.

According to The News-Gazette (https://bit.ly/1XcNvjQ ), the fire started on a patio of one apartment sometime before 5 p.m. on May 30. The blaze spread rapidly.

Champaign Police Sgt. Dennis Baltzell said no arrests will be made because of the boys’ ages.

Residents were forced out of the building’s 10 occupied apartments. No one was injured.

___

Information from: The News-Gazette, https://www.news-gazette.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide