- Associated Press - Monday, March 14, 2016

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) - An Indonesian court on Monday sentenced a teenager radicalized at an Islamic boarding school to three years in a juvenile detention center for harboring a suspect in a suicide bombing and gun attack.

The 15-year-old boy, who cannot be identified because of his age, was captured last month along with Khumaedi, one of the main suspects in the attack, on their way to the boy’s family home in Sukabumi, a town in West Java province.

Eight people died in the Jan. 14 Jakarta attack including four militants, who police said claimed allegiance to the Islamic State group.

Judge Antonius Simbolon told the East Jakarta District Court the teenager was guilty of violating anti-terrorism laws by assisting Khumaedi, who like many Indonesians uses one name.

Simbolon said the boy wasn’t aware of Khumaedi’s links to the Jakarta attackers, but knew he was planning an attack on police.



The boy had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group after watching extremist propaganda videos for weeks at his Islamic boarding school in West Java, the judge said.

The boy’s parents were not aware of their son’s radicalization at the school in a neighboring town. The boarding school remains open. A new anti-terrorism law being considered by Indonesia’s Parliament may allow authorities to take action against Islamic schools that encourage radicalization.

The teenager is the first person with a link to the Jakarta attack to be sentenced.

The maximum sentence he faced under Indonesia’s anti-terrorism laws was 15 years. Simbolon said he decided to be lenient because the teenager admitted his guilt and repeatedly expressed remorse.

“What he has done has hampered the government’s program to fight against terrorism,” Simbolon said. “But he’s still young and still has time to be fostered to the right path.”

The teenager sat sobbing, his head bowed down, as his father patted him on the back after the judge read out the ruling.

“I will consider an appeal,” he said. “I have promised to enter school, to be a good student if allowed to return home.”

A total of 43 suspects have been arrested in connection with the attack, which began with a suicide bombing inside a Starbucks cafe in downtown Jakarta.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide