- Associated Press - Monday, March 14, 2016

COVENTRY, R.I. (AP) - The state Department of Health is investigating a possible outbreak of norovirus at a Coventry elementary school after 35 percent of its students were absent last week with symptoms.

Superintendent Michael Convery said in an email to parents that more than 200 students and 10 teachers at Washington Oak Elementary were out sick Friday.

Convery said as of Monday that the number of students who were absent due to the illness had dropped to five.

Convery says the school will likely hold off on testing students for norovirus unless there’s another spike in symptoms.

Health officials say children should be free of symptoms such as fever and vomiting for at least 24 hours before they return to school.

The school was sanitized over the weekend.


Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide