- Associated Press - Friday, March 18, 2016

CHICAGO (AP) - The Chicago Fire Department says a massive blaze at a two-block-long flea market was an accident likely caused by an electrical issue.

The department said in a report released Thursday that the March 8 fire likely started in a vendor’s booth in the outdoor section at the West Side’s Buyers Flea Market. Fire officials ruled out arson. They cited witness statements, computer reconstruction and security video.

Chicago police and fire officials and federal officials compiled the report.

The blaze caused $16 million in damage. The fire department needed 180 firefighters and paramedics and 60 pieces of fire equipment to put the fire out. At its height, the fire sent large plumes of black smoke into the sky. Vehicles parked on the building’s deck fell into the building as the roof collapsed.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide