- Associated Press - Wednesday, March 2, 2016

BOSTON (AP) - A decision by Boston’s mayor and police commissioner to shorten the city’s annual St. Patrick’s Day parade route is not sitting well with organizers.

Mayor Marty Walsh said Tuesday the decision made after consulting with Police Commissioner William Evans to cut this year’s route from 3.2 miles to 1.4 miles was made in the interest of public safety.

The route for the March 20 parade will be the same as last year, when it was shortened because some streets were made impassable by record-setting snowfall.

Parade organizer Timothy Duross said the city never consulted with the South Boston Allied War Veterans Council on the shortened route and never gave a reason.

He says the shorter route misses several significant sites and he’s concerned spectators will be packed too tightly along the sidewalks.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide