- Associated Press - Wednesday, March 2, 2016

FARGO, N.D. (AP) - A man who was involved in police shootout last month that left him and a Fargo officer dead warned authorities to clear the area before he started shooting, according to details from a search warrant.

Six-year police veteran Jason Mozser, 33, died from a single gunshot wound during the nearly 11-hour standoff. Investigators have not said whether the suspect, Marcus Schumacher, 49, died of a police bullet or shot himself.

A search warrant filed with a magistrate judge after the event says Schumacher called police dispatch the evening of Feb. 10 and said he would hurt “anyone that comes close to the house.” Later, after a gunshot was fired out the window, Schumacher allegedly told dispatch, “I told you I was serious,” the warrant said.

“There’s a man who had a plan,” Cass County Sheriff Paul Laney told KFGO radio Wednesday. “This wasn’t something that I think he just thought up at that second. He took the time to evacuate certain people yet he unloaded on that whole neighborhood with many, many rounds down range in many different directions.”

The contents of the warrant were first reported Wednesday by The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead.

The warrant says police recovered five guns, about three-dozen spent shell casings and about two-dozen tear gas canisters from the home. A .243-caliber Winchester bolt-action rifle was found under Schumacher’s body and .22-caliber Ruger model firearm was found in the kitchen. Two other rifles and a shotgun were found in a gun cabinet in an upstairs bedroom.

Schumacher was convicted in 1989 of negligent homicide in the shooting death of 17-year-old Maynard Clauthier in Grand Forks, and was sentenced to five years in prison. Under North Dakota law, gun rights for a person who is convicted of a felony offense involving violence or intimidation are automatically restored 10 years after the sentence and any ensuing probation.

The case is being investigated by the state Bureau of Criminal Investigation. A spokeswoman for Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem declined to comment on details of the warrant.

Schumacher first communicating with police at about 8:12 p.m., and at 9:36 p.m. dispatch received notice than an “officer was down,” according to the warrant. The document said police didn’t get into the house until 5:50 a.m. on Feb. 11.

The search of the home also found empty prescription pill bottles for diazepam and hydrocodone.

It was the first time a Fargo police officer died in the line of duty in more than 130 years.

Copyright © 2022 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide