- Associated Press - Thursday, March 3, 2016

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) - Orange County officials have denied a $2 million claim filed by the taxi driver who was kidnapped and held hostage for a week by three inmates who escaped from a Santa Ana jail.

Seventy-one-year-old Long Hoang Ma says the ordeal caused him severe emotional distress, post-traumatic stress and “fear of death due to horrific events.”

Supervisor Todd Spitzer said Wednesday that the county has denied the claim, which was filed Feb.16.

The Orange County Register says (https://bit.ly/1TSDFBU ) such claims are typically precursors to potential litigation against the county.

Ma was kidnapped at gunpoint in Jan. 22 by three men who escaped earlier that day from the county-operated Central Men’s Jail. All three inmates were eventually recaptured.

___

Information from: The Orange County Register, https://www.ocregister.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide