- Associated Press - Tuesday, March 8, 2016

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Officials say smoking or fireworks caused an accidental January blaze in a central Ohio duplex that left a man and a woman dead.

An investigation by the Columbus Fire Department concludes that a woman was smoking on the porch at the same time children were playing with fireworks.

The investigation released Monday says one of those actions lit a cardboard box on fire, which led to the blaze quickly moving into the house. The adult who was smoking was not one of those killed.

Five other people, including three children, escaped. A girl was taken to a hospital for minor burns. Fire officials said several pets also died in the fire.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide