- Associated Press - Saturday, May 21, 2016

ALMA, Neb. (AP) - Construction has begun on a new airport terminal at Alma on the southern border of Nebraska, and officials hope the new facility will draw more air traffic to the south-central town of 1,100 people.

Nearby Harlan Lake already draws a number of pilots to Alma, City Administrator Doug Wilson said. But the airport’s current amenities are lacking, limited to portable toilets and self-service fueling, the Kearney Hub reported (https://bit.ly/1smNGMr ).

Construction began on the new 1,250-square-foot terminal in April, and it is expected to be complete in June. Airport Manager Ron Hawley said it will offer bathrooms, a snack bar and a pilot’s room and lounge. Computers also will be available to check weather reports in the pilot’s room.

It’s not the first time the city has updated the airport, built in the mid-1980s. In 2011, the self-service fuel station was installed, and two years later, the sod runway was paved and lighted and two hangars were built.

Fuel sales tripled when the latest improvements were made, Hawley said, and he believes current sales will double once the terminal is complete.

He’s also hoping more traffic will be good for business in downtown Alma. With the airport is on the town’s outskirts, the city will provide courtesy cars for pilots to drive to town.

“The more activity we have out here, that helps downtown activity,” Hawley said.

The city is paying 10 percent of the new terminal’s $550,000 construction cost. The remaining 90 percent is covered through grants from the Federal Aviation Administration


Information from: Kearney Hub, https://www.kearneyhub.com/

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide