- Associated Press - Saturday, May 21, 2016

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - An Omaha woman has been fined $100 in what a city attorney believes is the first time a person has been prosecuted for violated a city fire code forbidding grills on apartment balconies.

The Omaha World-Herald reports (https://bit.ly/1RfPYl7 ) that 51-year-old Jan Wilson was sentenced Friday for a city fire code violation. She could had been sentenced to up six months in jail and fined up to $500.

Prosecutor Tom Mumgaard says it’s the first time he could recall the city enforcing its ban.

Officials say Wilson’s charcoal grill sparked a two-alarm blaze at the Maple Ridge Apartments on April 12 that caused the building’s roof to partially collapse and displaced 23 people. No injuries were reported.

Officials say the fire caused an estimated $225,000 in damage.


Information from: Omaha World-Herald, https://www.omaha.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide