- Associated Press - Wednesday, May 4, 2016

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - Fire officials say seven people were taken to the hospital for evaluation after they were exposed to a dental chemical at a health center in San Jose.

The San Jose Mercury News reports (https://bayareane.ws/21yryLt) the fire department and a hazardous-materials team were sent to the facility Wednesday after getting a report of a spill of the chemical cresol, which is used as a sealant after filling cavities. Cresol can be a corrosive or a respiratory irritant in concentration.

Indian Health Center of Santa Clara Valley CEO Sonya Tetnowski says an ounce of the chemical was spilled into a drawer of respiratory masks and a staffer later put on one of the contaminated masks and exposed the patients to the chemical.

Fire Capt. Christopher Salcido says five adults and two children were taken to the hospital as a precaution.

___

Information from: The San Jose Mercury News, htpp://www.mercurynews.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide