- Associated Press - Wednesday, May 4, 2016

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The Latest on the death of music superstar Prince (all times local):

2:55 p.m.

Federal authorities including the Drug Enforcement Administration are joining the investigation of Prince’s death.

A statement Wednesday from the U.S. Attorney’s Office says that office and the DEA are joining the Carver County Sheriff’s Office in investigating Prince’s April 21 death at age 57.

A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation has told The Associated Press that investigators are looking into whether Prince died from an overdose. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to talk about the investigation. The same official also said investigators are looking at whether Prince had suffered an overdose when his plane made an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois, less than a week before he died.

Earlier Wednesday, a Minnesota attorney said the day before Prince died, his representatives reached out to a California doctor who specializes in addiction treatment to set up an urgent meeting with Prince.


2:40 p.m.

An expert on treating addiction has questioned whether a California doctor responded appropriately when he was called to help Prince.

Speaking without direct knowledge of Prince’s case, addiction medicine expert Dr. Stuart Gitlow questioned why Dr. Howard Kornfeld sent his son, Andrew, on a flight to Prince’s home in Minnesota rather than calling for emergency help.

The Kornfelds’ lawyer, William Mauzy, said Wednesday that Prince’s representatives told Howard Kornfeld that the singer was “dealing with a grave medical emergency” when they first contacted him the day before the musician’s death.

Gitlow says if a doctor believes there is a medical emergency, “his obligation is to call an ambulance and get the patient to emergency personnel who can assess the situation - not to fly to the patient.”


12:40 p.m.

A Minneapolis attorney says he believes Minnesota law would protect a California man from any potential charges related to Prince’s death.

William Mauzy represents Dr. Howard Kornfeld and his son, Andrew. Mauzy says Andrew Kornfeld traveled to Minnesota to see Prince after his father was asked to help the singer deal with a painkiller addiction.

He says the younger Kornfeld showed up at Paisley Park on April 21 and was one of three people to find Prince unresponsive. The singer was soon pronounced dead.

Mauzy says Andrew Kornfeld, who isn’t a doctor, was carrying a small amount of buprenorphine, which Kornfeld advocates for patients with addiction issues to provide pain relief with less possibility of overdose and addiction.

Andrew Kornfeld has been questioned by investigators, but Mauzy says he believes he is protected by a Minnesota law that lets people report overdoses without fear of prosecution. The attorney also says Andrew Kornfeld never intended to give the buprenorphine directly to Prince, but rather to a doctor who had planned to evaluate Prince.

-The spelling of “buprenorphine” has been corrected in the item above.


12:05 p.m.

A Minneapolis lawyer for a California addiction doctor says neither the doctor nor the doctor’s son met or spoke with Prince before the music legend’s death last month.

William Mauzy told reporters Wednesday that representatives of Prince reached out to Dr. Howard Kornfeld the day before Prince died and that Kornfeld sent his son, Andrew Kornfeld, to meet with Prince because the doctor couldn’t immediately fly to Minnesota.

Mauzy said Kornfeld also called a Minnesota doctor to check Prince, and the doctor had cleared his morning schedule for Prince the day of his death. He refused to identify the doctor

The lawyer says Andrew Kornfeld went to Prince’s suburban Minneapolis estate the morning of his death and was one of three people who found Prince’s unresponsive body in an elevator there. He confirmed a Minneapolis Star Tribune report that Andrew Kornfeld was the one who called 911.


Andrew Kornfeld’s name has been corrected on second reference. He had been erroneously referred to as Andrew Mauzy.


6:30 a.m.

A published report says Prince had arranged to meet a California doctor to try to kick an addiction to painkillers shortly before his death.

Attorney William Mauzy told the Minneapolis Star Tribune (https://strib.mn/1q0bEM1 ) that Prince representatives called Dr. Howard Kornfeld on April 20, the day before Prince died. Mauzy says he is representing the Kornfeld family.

Mauzy says Kornfeld couldn’t immediately meet Prince, so he sent his son Andrew to discuss treatment. Mauzy says it was Andrew Kornfeld who called 911 when Prince’s unresponsive body was found in an elevator at Paisley Park, Prince’s suburban Minneapolis compound.

Mauzy and Howard Kornfeld haven’t responded to messages from The Associated Press on Wednesday morning.

A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation has told AP that investigators are looking into whether Prince died from an overdose. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to talk about the investigation.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide