- Associated Press - Thursday, May 5, 2016

GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) - A Gulfport city official says the city is making progress toward removing concrete slabs left on empty lots more than a decade after Hurricane Katrina.

Several other Mississippi Gulf Coast cities last year instructed property owners to break up and remove slabs left from destroyed buildings.

Gulfport Urban Development Director Greg Pietrangelo tells WLOX-TV that of 286 cases identifed in the most populous coastal city, 215 are resolved. That means a slab has been removed, an owner has obtained permits for the work, or city inspectors have exempted a property.

Pietrangelo says lots are easier to sell once slabs are broken up and hauled away.

Property owners that don’t remove slabs could face a hearing before the City Council. Gulfport could ultimately remove the slab and bill the owner.

___

Information from: WLOX-TV, https://www.wlox.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide