- Associated Press - Friday, May 6, 2016

BOSTON (AP) - Boston and IndyCar officials are keeping the door open after a plan for a race in the city this year collapsed.

Mayor Marty Walsh and Mark Miles, CEO of IndyCar’s parent company, said Thursday they’re working to bring a race to Boston in the future.

The demise of what would have been the city’s first IndyCar race came on the heels of the U.S. Olympic Committee’s decision last year to withdraw Boston as its nominee for the 2024 Summer Olympics.

The Grand Prix of Boston had been planned for Labor Day weekend, but IndyCar organizers pulled out last Friday after months of planning.

They said the city made unreasonable demands. But Walsh’s administration said organizers were “unwilling or unable” to meet the requirements of holding an event of its size.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide