- Associated Press - Saturday, May 7, 2016

MONTICELLO, Ind. (AP) - Authorities in northwest Indiana say a natural gas leak caused an explosion that blew the walls off a home where three people were sleeping. No one was seriously hurt.

The blast happened early Saturday in Monticello, scattering debris in the road and yard.

Fire Capt. Robert Hickman says a gas meter was on fire and firefighters had to quickly extinguish it by shutting off the gas supply before searching for anyone trapped inside.

WLFI-TV reports (https://bit.ly/1T5HRPv ) that the three adults asleep inside at the time of the explosion were able to make it out before firefighters arrived.

One of them suffered minor burns but refused medical treatment.

Hickman says a preliminary investigation found no evidence of illegal activity.


Information from: WLFI-TV, https://www.wlfi.com/

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide