- Associated Press - Monday, May 9, 2016

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - An ex-convict who is accused in the fatal shooting of an Albuquerque police officer pleaded guilty Monday in a separate federal case to heroin trafficking and a firearms charge.

Davon Lymon’s guilty plea in federal court comes some six months after his arrest following the shooting death of Officer Daniel Webster, who was gunned down Oct. 21 during a traffic stop. Webster died in a hospital eight days later from his injuries.

Lymon, who was transferred to federal custody after the shooting, has not been charged in state court with Webster’s death, but remains under investigation in the shooting.

In federal court, Lymon was charged in two separate cases, including one in which authorities say he dealt drugs to an undercover federal agent in early September and again on Oct. 2, when he also sold a weapon to an agent.

Lymon pleaded guilty to two counts of drug trafficking and one count of being a felon in possesion of a firearm. His prior felonies include voluntary manslaughter, fraud and forgery.

More than a dozen law enforcement officers - including Webster’s widow, who is a Bernalillo County Sheriff’s deputy - watched as Lymon, shackled and wearing a yellow jumpsuit, stood before the judge.

He faces up to 20 years in prison for the two heroin trafficking charges and 10 years for the firearms charge. A sentencing hearing has not yet been scheduled. There was no plea agreement in the case.

In a separate federal case, Lymon faces other firearms charges, with one count stemming from possessing a weapon when he allegedly shot Webster, federal authorities said.

Six rounds were fired at Webster as he attempted to handcuff Lymon, who was pulled over for riding a motorcycle with a stolen license plate, authorities said.

The suspect was later found hiding in a shed with a handcuff on his left wrist, and a .40-caliber semi-automatic pistol was found in a vacant lot where he headed after the shooting, police said.

Officer Tanner Tixier, an Albuquerque police spokesman, said nearly all of the police investigation into Webster’s shooting death has been sent to the district attorney’s office.

A spokesman for District Attorney Kari Brandenburg said her office is waiting until both federal cases against Lymon have been resolved before taking the case involving Webster’s death before a grand jury.



Click to Read More

Click to Hide