- Associated Press - Monday, May 9, 2016

RUTLAND, Vt. (AP) - Fire officials say four people were hospitalized and 10 residents were left displaced after a fire damaged an apartment building in downtown Rutland over the weekend.

Deputy Fire Chief Jim Miles says the blaze was reported just after 4 p.m. Saturday at the Bardwell House, a 75-unit home for the elderly and disabled.

Miles says the fire started in a fourth floor residence and was cooking-related. The flames were contained to one unit and eventually extinguished by firefighters with assistance from the building’s sprinkler system.

The apartment suffered fire damage while nine other rooms sustained severe water damage.

Fire officials say the four injured residents were hospitalized for smoke inhalation.

Members of the American Red Cross are assisting those affected.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide