- Associated Press - Tuesday, November 1, 2016

BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) - A Vermont man has pleaded not guilty to defrauding a woman out of about $250,000 through the sale of stock.

Daniel Burgess, of Stowe, was indicted last week. Prosecutors say the 50-year-old Burgess bought and sold securities through a company called Tucker Financial Services. They say he entered into a contract with a Nevada woman in 2011 and agreed to try to sell 520,000 shares of a penny stock she owned.

Under their agreement, she would receive 80 percent of the proceeds; he would receive the remaining 20 percent.

Prosecutors say the shares were sold for about $619,000. The woman’s share would have been $495,000, but Burgess paid her about $246,000 and kept the rest.

Burgess pleaded not guilty on Monday in federal court in Burlington. He awaits trial.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide