- Associated Press - Saturday, November 19, 2016

SYDNEY (AP) - Sydney FC’s six-match winning start in the A-League ended when it drew with Brisbane 1-1 on Saturday in a performance coach Graham Arnold called its best of the season.

Josh Brillante gave Sydney the lead with a long-range strike in the 13th minute - a candidate for goal of the season - and the league leaders dominated for long periods.

But a skilful reply by midfielder Thomas Kristensen in the 40th leveled, and Sydney was unable to find a way to stretch its winning streak to seven games.

It remains six points clear of Melbourne City, which drew with Western Sydney Wanderers 1-1, while Brisbane’s home point was enough to keep it in third place.

Perth was fourth after a 3-1 win over Adelaide, which left the defending champion without a win and at the bottom of the table after seven rounds.

Arnold had no regrets at seeing Sydney’s winning streak come to an end.

“I couldn’t be happier with the way we’re going and the way we played,” he said. “We totally dominated them for probably a good 70, 75 minutes. Sometimes they go in, sometimes they don’t, but overall, outstanding.”

Brisbane coach John Aloisi said Sydney was the better side in the first half as they took advantage of his team’s turnovers in defense. He was pleased to see Brisbane show spirit to rally and hang on to secure a point.

“We gave them a lift by giving them all those chances and giving away the ball in areas,” he said. “They didn’t do anything different to what we expected.

“But we weren’t seeing the solution. All in all, we have to be happy with a point because we didn’t play at our best.”

Teenage substitute Lachlan Scott scored in stoppage time to give Western Sydney a 1-1 draw with Melbourne City. Scott was awarded the equalizer when he met a last-gasp cross at the far post, though the ball seemed to have been turned into the net by City midfielder Neil Kilkenny.

Australia star Tim Cahill gave Melbourne the lead in the second half when he fielded a cross from Fernando Brandan and rounded keeper Jerrad Tyson before stroking the ball into an empty net.

Andy Keogh scored twice after halftime as Perth rallied from a goal down to beat Adelaide 3-1 and consign the latter to its fifth loss in seven matches. The defeat was exacerbated when coach Guillermo Amor was ordered from the touchline and Jordan O’Doherty was shown a red card.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide