- Associated Press - Saturday, November 19, 2016

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - The trial has been delayed for a man accused of killing five people in Kansas City in 2014.

Brandon Howell’s trial had been scheduled for September 2017, but was delayed Friday until March 2018. The defense sought the delay, The Kansas City Star reported (https://j.mp/2g6y8Z6).

Howell is charged with five counts of first-degree murder in the Sept. 2, 2014, deaths of 69-year-old Susan Choucroun; 88-year-old Lorene Hurst; 63-year-old Darrel Hurst; 80-year-old George Taylor, and 86-year-old Anna Taylor.

Jackson County prosecutors have said Howell assaulted the Taylors in their home, before he stole their SUV and fatally shot neighbors who happened to be outside. Prosecutors are seeking a death sentence for Howell.

According to court records, Howell’s accused of burglarizing the Taylor home where a woman inside the residence dialed 911.

Officers who arrived at the scene first found Choucroun dead in her driveway next door to the Taylor home. They found the Taylors critically injured inside their home. They died later at a hospital.

Officers found the bodies of the Hursts in the front yard of Lorene Hurst’s nearby home. Authorities believe she and her son may have just returned from grocery shopping.

Witnesses told police they heard several gunshots then saw the Taylors’ SUV speed down the street. One witness said the driver stopped in front of Choucroun’s house, got out and shot Choucroun before getting back in the vehicle and driving away.

Howell was arrested later that night as he walked along an area highway with a shotgun in a pant leg.

___

Information from: The Kansas City Star, https://www.kcstar.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide