An hour-long lockdown at an American naval base in Japan was lifted Thursday morning after reports of active shooter turned up neither a gunman nor proof of actual shots.
Personnel at Sasebo Naval Base in the port of Nagasaki had been ordered to shelter in place Thursday morning as gunshots were heard and the protocols for dealing with an active shooter were put in place.
But after about an hour, the official Facebook feed of Commander, Fleet Activities Sasebo Japan, said all was clear and “the lock down has been lifted.”
“No evidence of shots fired or an active shooter,” nor any injuries, the post went on to say.
The Facebook feed had said gunshots were reportedly heard “at 9:33 a.m. … inside building 141.” The building was evacuated and a perimeter set up as security cleared the building.
But nothing was discovered. there was no immediate indication of what caused people to hear gunshots.