- The Washington Times - Tuesday, November 22, 2016

President-elect Donald Trump doesn’t want to pursue further investigations into Hillary Clinton once he takes office, Mr. Trump’s former campaign manager confirmed Tuesday.

“I think when the president-elect who’s also the head of your party now … tells you before he’s even inaugurated he doesn’t wish to pursue these charges, it sends a very strong message, tone and content to the members,” Trump transition official Kellyanne Conway said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

“And I think Hillary Clinton still has to face the fact that a majority of Americans don’t find her to be honest or trustworthy, but if Donald Trump can help her heal, then perhaps that’s a good thing,” Ms. Conway said.

“Look, I think he’s thinking of many different things as he prepares to become the president of the United States, and things that sound like the campaign aren’t among them,” she said.

The MSNBC program, citing an unnamed source, had reported Tuesday that Mr. Trump will not pursue investigations into Mrs. Clinton’s email setup or the Clinton Foundation.

On the campaign trail, Mr. Trump had vowed to appoint a special prosecutor to look into Mrs. Clinton’s email setup if he got elected and suggested during one debate that the Democratic presidential nominee would be in jail if he were in charge of the law in the country.

FBI Director James B. Comey said Mrs. Clinton and her aides were careless with the private email setup, but Mr. Comey questioned whether the former secretary of state was sophisticated enough to know what she was doing and declined to recommend charges for mishandling classified information.

Some Democrats are blaming Mr. Comey’s late October announcement that the bureau was looking into relevant emails again, before reaffirming its decision over the summer not to recommend charges just prior to Election Day, for Mrs. Clinton’s stunning loss to Mr. Trump.

Alleged pay-for-play tactics between the Clinton Foundation and Mrs. Clinton’s team had also been a major part of the Trump campaign’s messaging.

The White House reacted to the decision by saying Mr. Comey had already settled the matter when he announced the Justice Department wouldn’t prosecute Mrs. Clinton.

“There was an investigation,” said White House press secretary Josh Earnest. “His conclusion … is that no reasonable prosecutor would move forward with the case.”

Mr. Earnest added, “The point is, we don’t need staffers in the next White House to resolve the question of whether or not the prosecution should move forward.”

Dave Boyer contributed to this story.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide