- The Washington Times - Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Executives at tequila giant Jose Ceurvo were not doing celebratory shots after Republican Donald Trump’s historic election victory on Nov. 8.

The world’s largest tequila producer joins former Mexican presidents and illegal immigrants who were thrown for a loop on Election Day. The Mexican company announced Wednesday that it will delay an initial public offering due to concerns over possible changes to the North American Free Trade Agreement.

“It’s a disaster,” Mr. Trump told CBS’s “60 Minutes” in October. “We will either renegotiate it, or we will break it. Because, you know, every agreement has an end. … Every agreement has to be fair. Every agreement has a defraud clause. We’re being defrauded by all these countries.”



Jose Cuervo, officially known as Becle, will revisit plans for an IPO in January. It previously filed with Mexico’s bourse in September.

“A big part of the uncertainty that is reflected in economic variables has to do with the great uncertainty about the economic policies that will be taken by the new administration in the United States,” Mexican Central Bank Deputy Governor Manuel Sanchez told Reuters for an interview published Wednesday.

Jose Cuervo, created in the late 1700s, is North America’s oldest continuous producer of spirits, Reuters reported.

Mr. Trump’s inauguration will take place Friday, Jan. 20 in Washington, D.C.

• Douglas Ernst can be reached at dernst@washingtontimes.com.

Copyright © 2022 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide