- Associated Press - Sunday, November 27, 2016

ANACOCO, La. (AP) - A Korean War hero was laid to rest last weekend after being classified as “Missing in Action” by the United States Army for more than six decades.

The day, which his family said they never expected to see, was filled with tears as Sgt. James Edward Martin was buried Nov. 19 in his hometown of Anacoco.

“We’ve been waiting a lifetime for something like this… None of us ever expected this day to come, but now that it’s here, it’s been very overwhelming. It has been a heart-wrenching, humbling experience,” said Ronald Martin, James’ nephew.

Remembered by many as an “energetic young man,” James Martin left his home when he was 19 years old to serve in the United States Army. After his training, he was deployed to Korea in late November 1950 with the 3rd Battalion, 31st Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division.

Shortly after his arrival to Korea, Martin’s unit engaged in a fierce battle with members of the Chinese Communist Army at Chosin Reservoir, North Korea. According to U.S. Army records, 2,500 U.S. forces and 700 South Korean soldiers fought against the Chinese forces, but they were outnumbered.

By Dec. 2, nearly 1,500 soldiers were evacuated from the area due to injuries; the remaining soldiers had been either captured or killed in enemy territory. Because Martin could not be accounted for by his unit at the end of the battle, he was reported missing in action as of Dec. 3, 1950.

“We really didn’t talk a whole lot about this throughout my life,” said Ronald. “For the longest time, his mother always felt in her heart that he was still alive. She knew he was still with us.”

After his family found out that Martin was MIA, his older brother Glen joined the army and requested Korea as his first tour of duty.

“Glen felt like if he could get over there, he would be able to find him,” Ronald said. “Unfortunately, he had an accident over there and was wounded and sent home. He wasn’t over there for very long.”

Martin’s name never appeared on any prisoner of war lists and no repatriated Americans were able to provide any information concerning Martin as a prisoner of war. Due to the prolonged lack of evidence, the U.S. Army declared him deceased as of Dec. 31, 1953.

Decades passed before Martin’s family prepared a grave site in his honor at Mitchell cemetery in Anacoco.

“We all needed closure,” Ronald said.

In 2001, Martin’s remains, as well as the remains of seven others, were uncovered during the 25th Joint Recovery Operation on the eastern bank of the Chosin Reservoir. He was identified fifteen years later when a DNA analysis matched two of his sisters.

Today, nearly 6,000 U.S. Army soldiers remain unaccounted for from the Korean War. Now more than 65 years after James Martin left to serve in the military, he is back with his family, buried beside his mother and father.

Along with family members, friends and hundreds of soldiers from Fort Polk, Martin’s sister Ruby was in attendance for the service.

“I wish (his mother) could’ve seen this,” said Ronald. “But his sister is happy that James is finally home. The family is reunited now.”

Welcome home, Sergeant Martin.

___

Information from: Alexandria Daily Town Talk, https://www.thetowntalk.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide