- Associated Press - Monday, October 31, 2016

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a 7-year-old girl ended up at a north Florida burn center after her grandmother attempted to light their jack-o’-lantern with green flames using household chemicals.

The Florida Times-Union (https://goo.gl/qwiKTJ) reports that 62-year-old Wanda Michelle Reyna called 911 Sunday evening, saying that fire had splattered on her granddaughter, so she threw the girl into the St. Augustine home’s pool. The girl’s father was already driving the girl to the hospital, but dispatchers diverted him to the nearest fire station.

St. Johns County Fire Rescue spokesman Lt. Jeremy Robshaw says the girl was taken to a Gainesville hospital.

A sheriff’s office report says the family had been following a YouTube video to make green flames.

It was not immediately clear what injuries the girl suffered but Reyna told the Times-Union Monday that the girl was fine and that the sheriff’s office was blowing the accident out of proportion.

___

Information from: The (Jacksonville) Florida Times-Union, https://www.jacksonville.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide